Monday, November 3, 2014

A bit about me

So in two weeks I'll be in rural Uganda! It'll probably be a bit warmer than it is out tonight!

I thought I'd give you a bit of background on who is going and me. There are about 20 of us altogether from the UK. Four from WaterAid, including Tadg the filmmaker, 13 from UK water companies, someone from the Environment Agency, someone from a contractor who work for the water companies and me from Mott MacDonald, who provide consultancy services in the water sector both in the UK and around the world.

Out and about in sunny Sussex
I have been with Mott MacDonald for 14 years. Over that time I have worked for at least nine of the UK water companies helping them to solve issues relating to water resources, flood risk or the environmental impacts of some of their operations. A typical project for me is to manage a project to assess whether a sewage treatment works is affecting the health of a river downstream. This might involve collecting field measurements, interpreting data, building an understanding of the overall environmental system and making recommendations for changes, perhaps to upgrade the sewage treatment works. I typically would talk with the water company, the regulatory authority and  local stakeholders to ensure that we are using the most up to date information and the water company are not contravening legislation in place to protect the water environment or wildlife.

It's all very interesting and important stuff, protecting the viability and health of our water resources, but I am sure it is going to pale into insignifcance by the challenges I will experience in rural Uganda.

I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment