Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The plan

OK, so a bit more about what I'll be up to in Uganda

I will shortly be jetting off to Uganda to experience first-hand the incredible work of the charity WaterAid. I am incredibly honoured to be representing my company, Mott MacDonald on this trip and I am not taking the responsibility lightly. I expect that the trip will be a massive inspiration for the 16 of us going and it will spur us all on to raise awareness of the plight of the 1 in 3 people in the world that do not have somewhere safe to go to the toilet and 1 in 10 who don't have a safe water supply.

First we will travel to the Amuria District in north east Uganda. I will be spending time with families who have no safe water supply and nowhere safe to go the toilet and discussing with them the challenges that they face just in doing something we take for granted when we turn on the tap or walk into the bathroom. I will be visiting a school, which incr

Pledging to do my bit for the cause
edibly they build with no water supply or toilets, meaning that children have to spend most of the morning collecting water for use through the day. We will then go to a village and help them with an ongoing project. We are hoping that is going to be building latrines on Word Toilet Day, the 19th November. Then we will see the difference water and sanitation makes and travel to villages where WaterAid have installed toilets and a water supply and talk with villagers about how it has changed their lives. Finally, and perhaps the most daunting, we will be visiting the Bwaise slums, in Kampala to see the challenges there.

I anticipate that I will be deeply moved by some of the experiences and it's all going to be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. I hope that I can take it all on board though and influence others to do their bit and help deliver toilets and safe water for #EveryoneEverywhere by 2030. Bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma,

    Great blog, looking forward to reading more!

    See you on Saturday when we head off!

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete